Spills and Falls 2

So, I posted on Wednesday about my little accident-prone 2 year old, only to need a follow up post today about his continue dispute with gravity! (Warning: One of these accidents are my fault, so don't call CPS on me!)
My husband and I are finishing up our time as youth ministers for a local church, and part of what we do is service projects with the teens. We were out doing some gardening for our local cultural center, and I might note that it was 105 degrees outside and I am 28 weeks pregnant. My two boys were "helping" the teens as usual, and I was trying to watch that none of us got overheated. Every time I started "sweating like a man" as I call it, I would take the boys inside for a cool down in the airconditioner.

Well, Judah, my 4-year-old, announces that it is time for a trip to the potty and insists that he is going "by myself". But Gideon also had a dirty diaper, and so Gideon and I followed him back towards the bathroom. Judah was tugging heartily on the very heavy door as we approached, so I headed toward the handle side of the door, and Gideon headed around behind me to intercept Judah. Judah had managed to tug the door open a crack, and was moving around to push from the inside just as I caught ahold of it and shoved for him. At that highly inopportune moment, Gideon reversed directions and came back around the other side of me, just in time for me to bash him right in the forehead with the heavy bathroom door as hard as I could shove!

I hit him so hard with the door that he toppled right over backwards, clutching his forhead with his hands and screaming, "My head, momma! My head! It hurts! Oww!" Like any good, decent mother, I snatched him up, trying to assess the damage between my hysterical giggles. I couldn't help it! It was hilarious!

Almost immediately, a huge blue goose egg rose up on his forehead right above his left eye. Luckily the woman who works the front desk is also my mother, and she got us some ice for his forehead.

This morning, Saturday, while he still has a bump on his head, he had yet another tumble! We are upstairs in the play room, and we use a futon as a couch, except this morning, it was laid down into a bed for the boys to watch cartoons on. I'm talking to my husband about what his plans are for the day, and Gideon starts trying to get my attention. We have rules about interrupting, and we train our boys to be polite and wait their turn to talk by putting a hand on our leg or saying "excuse me, Momma." But, of course, that system isn't perfect in our 4 year old and really doesn't translate at all to Gideon yet! So, I'm ignoring him and he is getting more and more frantic, yelling about wanting his "cup, Momma! My Cup!" He's dancing around in circles, high stepping and waving his arms! It's really hilarious actually, and hard to continue to ignore, but we are wanting to make a point about not interrupting. Finally, he loses it. Spins around in a complete circle and runs as fast as he can towards the futon, intending on throwing himself on it in protest. However, two steps from the futon, he steps on top of his little toy laptop, which slips like a banana peel and launches him headfirst into the edge of the futon. He bangs his head against the metal support rail right on top of his goose egg from Thursday! Then he collapses in a heap, face down in the carpet screaming like he was shot.

I scooped him up and cuddled him, but he was inconsolable for quite awhile, clutching his forehead and wailing. He didn't want me even to kiss it because it hurt so bad. He wouldn't take his hands off and let us look. When I finally gave him something for the pain, and offered to get him some more ice, he calmed down and took his hands away, and I saw that he now has a cross-shaped bulging bruise on his forehead. The door left a verticle bruise and the bedrail left a horizontal bruise imposed on top! It's actually hilarious to me!

Raising a clumsy child is always an adventure. If he wasn't smart to start off with, he would have knocked himself retarded by now!
0 Responses