Momma & Judah Date Day

Today was my date with my oldest son, Judah. The Missoula Children's theater was putting on "The Princess and the Pea" at the Cultural Activities Center, and they offered a Prince and Princess Party prior to the showing where you could make a crown, have a snack and meet other kids. Judah and I got tickets and decided to go.

He was so excited to take me on a date! I asked him, "Will you take me on a date, Judah?" and he said, "Yeah Momma! That sounds like fun! But Momma...you'll have to drive!" I laughed really hard at my literal, problem-solving child.

Of course, we were one of like 5 little boys there in a room full of little girls dressed up as princesses, but the 5 boys present crowded around one table and seemed to be more comfortable. Safety in numbers and all...Judah went right to work coloring his placemat and playing with the compass they gave him, which he told me was, "just like in Pocahontas!" What really made me enjoy him was his desire to be a part of this event without being girly. They had crowns for us to make, but Judah was really concerned that only girls wore crowns. When the lady was passing them out, he told her, "No thank you! I don't want one." I appreciated his politeness, but I told him that while girls wore tiaras, boys could wear crowns, and that seemed to soothe his manliness a bit.

Turns out he LOVES cheesecake. They had cheesecake bites as the dessert, and Judah wanted one of each flavor. I had to limit him to one cheesecake bite and one cream puff. He so delights in new experiences and tastes.

And he's so full of wonder and imagination. Does this eventually die out, or do we just quit encouraging it in ourselves. He is such a delight. He wanted to know what everything was for and "WHY?", which is our favorite question right now. But he's also good at coming up with possible answers too! He speculates a lot. "Maybe they use that for...." I love that about him. He's so literal in his understanding of phrases and situations, even to the point where when he's pretending, he wants to make sure you know that he knows he's pretending. But he's also very creative in his imagination for what things could be or what we could use them for. I just love that! He has the heart of an inventor or explorer. But when you ask him what he's going to be when he grows up, his answer is always, "I'm going to work at the church and in the garage with my Daddy!" Good man!
0 Responses